Agriculture, food, beverage & pharmaceutical – Clean in place (CIP) solutions
Project: CIP installation planning and construction
A complete sensor system for efficient certified and approved CIP cleaning for a prominent company specializing in the transport and logistics of liquid food.
The CIP system consists of four tanks for freshwater, cleaning agents, returns and wastewater and the parallel cleaning system for up to three trucks. The independent process lines are designed for a fast, hygienic operation that is equally optimized in terms of ecological and economic aspects. From the tanks installed in the basement, cleaning media is pumped upwards into the milk or food trucks and flow back from there through hydrostatic pressure. In contrast to the otherwise frequently practiced “lost process “, the circulation and multiple recycling of the cleaning agents was a crucial requirement due to environmental protection and cost aspects.
The advantages of the application
- Complete process sensor technology for reliable and sustainable CIP cleaning from a single source
- Inline measurement of critical parameters enables precise process control and thus a verifiable quality for the certification of the cleaning
- High measuring accuracy and short reaction times ensure resource efficiency (e.g. saving of cleaning agents, reduction of wastewater volume) a crucial requirement here due to environmental protection and cost aspects.
The CIP cleaning takes place in three stages:
1. Pre-rinsing with water from the return tank
2. CIP cleaning with 1-phase cleaner, then depending on concentration either recirculation into cleaning agent tank or discharge into return tank
3. Flushing with fresh water with discharge into the return tank
For reliable and certifiable cleaning and maximum utilization of the cleaning agents, temperature, conductivity and flow rate must correspond exactly to the specifications. These values are controlled permanently and with the utmost precision inline.
For all applications in the overall process, the Anderson-Negele sensors were able to offer the appropriate solution, thus ensuring optimum function, efficiency and process reliability for the customer.
Different measuring methods ensure process reliability for the tanks. Capacitive level detectors NCS-M-11, installed at the top and bottom, transmit the full or empty signal to the PLC with the shortest reaction time in order to reliably prevent overflow during filling or pump idling. Type L3 pressure sensors are used for permanent volume measurement and to monitor the exact filling level. The temperature is continuously measured by dead-leg optimized TFP-161 sensors.
For correct cleaning, the media must always be pumped into the truck and their integrated spray heads with a specified, optimum pressure. Installed right after the pump, electromagnetic flow meters FMQ and pressure transmitters DANHH accurately monitor this process step. After the cleaning process, the media are analyzed inline and their return to the corresponding tanks is monitored by calorimetric flow switches of type FTS-141.
The analysis of the return media is one of the most important steps for an environmentally friendly and cost-efficient process. The ILM-4 inductive conductivity meter plays a central role in precisely determining the phase separation: during the discharge of the liquids at each cleaning stage the media are differentiated with cost-saving accuracy. Re-usable cleaning agent that flows off after cleaning can thus be returned to the tank to the maximum possible degree. In a separate, internal circulation and for permanent optimum cleaning result, its concentration is adapted to the specified ideal value by re-dosing with detergent and fresh water in the cleaning agent tank. The ILM-4 conductivity meter also ensures the highly precise measurement of conductivity and temperature required here.
ANDERSON-NEGELE SENSORS USED IN THE APPLICATION
|Conductivity ILM-4||Process pressure DAN-HH||Level/Volume L3|
* Freely selectable outputs: conductivity, temperature, and concentration
* Rapid temperature response time: t90 approx. 15 s
*Robust and durable *Housing completely resistant against cleaning chemicals *Rapid response time
|Point level NCS-M-11||Flowmeter FMQ||Temperature TFP-161|
* Reliable switching
*Small installation length and good cleanability
*Measurement unaffected by the conductivity of the medium
*Compact electronic device with stainless steel housing
* High measurement accuracy and reproducibility: ±0,5 % ±2 mm/s
*Elastomer-free, hygienic installation without dead legs
* Easy, fast installation, and calibration